The Council for NAEYC Accreditation is currently seeking dynamic, qualified candidates who are dedicated to promoting early childhood quality through program accreditation. There are three vacancies on the Council for persons interested in serving three-year terms beginning in September, 2014.
Committed to ensuring the equity, integrity, and accountability of its accreditation system serving programs for young children, the NAEYC Governing Board established the Council for NAEYC Accreditation to monitor the work of the NAEYC Academy for Early Childhood Program Accreditation. Five primary responsibilities have been delegated to the Council:
- Approve policies needed to govern the operations of the NAEYC Academy for the Accreditation of Programs for Young Children.
- Monitor and provide feedback on the operations of the NAEYC Academy using performance standards for accountability.
- Oversee accreditation decisions.
- Recommend to the Governing Board cooperative relationships with other systems that would advance the mission of NAEYC Accreditation of Programs for Young Children.
- Review all proposed revisions to NAEYC’s accreditation criteria for approval by the Governing Board.
The Council comprises nine members, each appointed for a period of three years. Meetings are held three times per year to conduct its business although committee work, typically online in nature, occurs throughout the year. Orientation to Council work and ongoing support are provided by Council members and NAEYC staff. Travel, accommodations, and food costs are covered.
The Council is to be composed of diverse membership, including but not limited to program and/or organizational auspices, professional experience, gender, ethnicity, and geographic variation. Only NAEYC members can apply for Council appointment.