Permissions for NAEYC-copyrighted material
Personal use or limited free distribution of photocopies. No permission is needed to photocopy up to 100 copies of NAEYC-copyrighted articles from Young Children and Teaching Young Children or excerpts from articles, or selections from NAEYC-copyrighted books, booklets, and brochures—as long as the copies are distributed at no cost and a credit to NAEYC is evident on each copy. Excerpts from a book cannot exceed more than one chapter of that book. Booklets and brochures may not be copied in their entirety, but brief excerpts may be used. Creating more than 100 copies (even for free distribution) requires written permission. Send written requests to NAEYC's Permissions Editor.
Republication. For permission to reuse material from NAEYC-copyrighted Young Children articles, Teaching Young Children articles, books, booklets, and brochures by republishing that material in another form, whether paper or electronic (curriculum guide, training manual, book, newsletter, journal, Web site, etc.), send a written request to NAEYC’s Permissions Editor. A fee may be assessed. Please allow at least 4 weeks time for the permission to be processed.
Academic photocopying. To obtain permission for academic photocopying (coursepackets, study manuals) by copy centers or university bookstores, contact: Academic Permissions Service, Copyright Clearance Center, ph 978-750-8400.
NAEYC Permissions Editor
mail: 1313 L Street NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005-4101
Permissions for material owned by others but appearing in NAEYC’s publications
Unless NAEYC is the copyright owner, NAEYC cannot grant permission to photocopy or republish. Instead, you must contact the copyright owner.
In Young Children and Teaching Young Children, see the box at the end of each article, or the credit given inside the figure or sidebar box, for copyright information. In NAEYC’s books, see the credit given in the text itself or on the book’s copyright page.
- If you need help determining who the copyright owner is, contact NAEYC’s Permissions Editor.
Single copies of recent issues of Young Children if available, cost $12/members or $15/nonmembers plus shipping. Purchase online or order by mail from: NAEYC Subs, P.O. Box 96270, Washington, DC 20090-6270; or fax 202-328-2649. In addition, a comprehensive searchable index of abstracts of all articles published since November 1985 is online.
Single copies of recent issues of Teaching Young Children if available, cost $5.60/members or $7.00/nonmembers plus shipping. Purchase online or order by mail from: NAEYC Pubs, P.O. Box 96270, Washington, DC 20090-6270; or fax 202-328-2649.
- Photocopies of NAEYC copyrighted Young Children articles may be purchased. Send a check for $10 with article title/month/year to: YC Reprints, NAEYC, 1313 L Street NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005-4101, or contact email@example.com.
For information on permissions related to NAEYC videos, send an e-mail to NAEYC’s Permissions Editor or contact the video's producer.
- Written permission is required to republish excerpts from or full text—not adaptations—of NAEYC position statements. Please send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written permission is not required for photocopying of NAEYC position statements, supplements, executive summaries, or Where We Stand summaries. All copies must be distributed for free and include a credit line indicating that the National Association for the Education of Young Children holds the copyright for the materials.
- Written permission is not required to link to a blog post from naeyc.org to a webpage or e-newsletter or to use the first paragraph of a post wiith a direct link to the blog on naeyc.org
- Written permission is required to republish the post in its entirety or use text exceeding the first paragraph. Please send requests to email@example.com.
Written permission is not required to link to an article or blog post on families.naeyc.org to a webpage or e-newsletter or to use the first paragraph of a post wiith a direct link to the article on families.naeyc.org.
Written permission is required to republish the post in its entirety or use text exceeding the first paragraph. Please send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) attempts through its publications program to provide a forum for discussion of major issues and ideas in our field. We hope to provoke thought and promote professional growth. The views expressed or implied by our authors are not necessarily those of the Association.