NAEYC Mission Statement
NAEYC's mission is to serve and act on behalf of the needs, rights and well-being of all young children with primary focus on the provision of educational and developmental services and resources (NAEYC Bylaws, Article I., Section 1.1).
NAEYC expresses its mission in terms of three broad goals:
- Improving professional practice and working conditions in early childhood education.
- Supporting early childhood programs by working to achieve a high-quality system of early childhood education.
- Building a high-performing, inclusive organization of groups and individuals who are committed to promoting excellence in early childhood education for all young children.
NAEYC's efforts are designed to achieve these ends:
- All children have access to a safe and accessible, high quality early childhood education that includes a developmentally appropriate curriculum; knowledgeable and well-trained program staff and educators; and comprehensive services that support their health, nutrition, and social well-being, in an environment that respects and supports diversity.
- All early childhood professionals are supported as professionals with a career ladder, ongoing professional development opportunities, and compensation that attracts and retains high quality educators.
- All families have access to early childhood education programs that are affordable and of high quality and actively participate in their children's education as respected reciprocal partners.
- All communities, states, and the nation work together to ensure accountable systems of high-quality early childhood education for all children.
NAEYC achieves its goals by:
- Providing professional development opportunities and resources for those who work for and with young children
- Convening individuals and groups with diverse perspectives to generate new knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the education and development of young children and their families.
- Setting and publicizing standards that promote excellence in early childhood education and early childhood professional preparation.
- Implementing systems to recognize early childhood education programs and early childhood professional preparation programs that meet NAEYC standards and guidelines.
- Building public understanding and support for activities and services that promote the healthy development and learning of all young children and their families.
- Advocating for public policies-and funding-to support a comprehensive system of high-quality early childhood education for all young children and families.
- Fostering the development of a network of high-performing, inclusive organizations that share the goal of promoting excellence in early childhood education for all young children.
Statement of Philosophy and Values
Accomplishing NAEYC's mission is dependent on:
- building the commitment, loyalty, and enthusiasm of thousands of people by providing opportunities for participation, contribution, and building consensus on critical issues;
- valuing and respecting individuals with diverse viewpoints and perspectives who share a commitment to the education and development of young children;
- designing programs and services that support individual and collective efforts to improve all early childhood programs regardless of sponsorship, funding, or structure;
- encouraging and supporting a strong network of AEYC Affiliates that provide leadership and professional growth opportunities at the community and state levels;
- supporting the development of individuals' professional competence and attitudes primarily through education, persuasion, and modeling;
- building and maintaining a strong organizational structure (governance, communication, financial base, headquarters staff and facility) to provide leadership, coordination, and services.
NAEYC seeks to become a more highly functioning organization that exemplifies its mission and vision and is enriched by and continually grows from the ongoing institutional commitment to diversity and inclusion as a core value in its work throughout the Association.