What are the Building a Lasting Legacy Campaign Annual Conference Scholarships?
NAEYC established the Building a Lasting Legacy Scholarships to allow future leaders to experience the many opportunities for professional development and networking at NAEYC's Annual Conference. These merit-based awards provide 10 recipients with free registration to attend NAEYC's 2013 Annual Conference and Expo in Washington, DC, from November 20–23.
Who can apply for a scholarship?
- You must be a member of NAEYC to apply for a scholarship.
- If you are speaking or presenting at the 2013 Annual Conference, you are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
- If you are an NAEYC vendor, you are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
What are the application requirements?
- All fields on the application must be completed.
- All applicants must provide a recommendation from a professional reference, such as a current or former supervisor, colleague, or professor.
- Applications that are incomplete, late, or do not have a letter of recommendation will not be considered.
- Applications must be submitted electronically. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
If I am awarded one of the scholarships, what is expected of me?
NAEYC staff several host informational meetings at the Annual Conference for scholarship recipients to network and share experiences. These meetings are required. By submitting this application, you agree to attend the following meetings if you are selected to receive a scholarship.
- Orientation meeting, Wednesday, November 20, 3:30 to 4:00 p.m.
- Opening General Session and Keynote Address, Wednesday, November 20, 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. (Scholarship recipients will be recognized as a group during this session.)
- Wrap-up meeting, Saturday, November 23, Time TBD
In addition to these events, scholarship recipients will be asked to take several group photos, which NAEYC will use in future promotional and marketing materials. Scholarship recipients are also asked to write a brief statement about their experience at the conference that NAEYC can use in future promotional materials.
If I am planning on applying for a scholarship, should I register for the Annual Conference now?
If you plan to attend the Annual Conference whether or not you receive a scholarship, you are encouraged to register early and take advantage of Early Bird Registration. If you are selected to receive a scholarship, NAEYC will reimburse you for registration costs. Registration for the Annual Conference opens on July 1, 2013.
What do I need to know about the letter of recommendation?
One letter of recommendation written by a supervisor or professional colleague is required and must be submitted with your application. If your application does not have a letter of recommendation, it will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to request the letter as soon as possible so that the recommender will have sufficient time to complete the form and submit it by the August 15, 2013 due date.
Where are the application form and recommendation forms located?
The application form is available at www.naeyc.org/legacy/scholarship/application_form and the recommendation form is available at www.naeyc.org/legacy/scholarship_recommendation.
If I applied for a scholarship, when will I find out if I received it?
All applicants will be notified about the status of their applications by September 1, 2013.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please contact Cathy Kennedy if you have additional questions.