- Be a United States Citizen
- Be at least 18 years old before the next election
- Have lived in Montana and in the county in which you intend to vote for at least 30 days
- Must not have been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind
- Cannot be a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution
- Local election offices
- Post offices
- Phone books
- Many organizations and businesses
- Office of Motor Vehicles (when applying for or renewing your driver's license)
Applications are available during a period beginning 75 days before Election Day and ending at noon on the day before the election. You may pick up an application at your local election office or at the Secretary of State's Office, or you may call either office and ask to have an application mailed to you.
An absentee ballot application is also available online.