To register to vote in the State of Nebraska an individual must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a United States Citizen
- Be at least 18 years of age on or before the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November
- Be a resident of Nebraska
- Have not been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, at least two years have passed since the completion of your sentence for the felony including any parole term
- Have not been officially found to be mentally incompetent
Mail-in registration must be postmarked on or before the third Friday before an election.
Individuals may register in person at the county clerk/election commissioner’s office prior to 6 p.m. on the second Friday preceding an election.
Can register to vote in person or obtain a mail-in application from at:
- County clerk/election commissioner’s office
- Post offices
- Department of Motor Vehicles (when applying for or renewing your driver’s license)
- Various other state agencies
You can also download a Voter Registration Application in English or Spanish. Mail completed form to your county election office.
You can apply for an early voting ballot by contacting your County Clerk or Election Commissioner in person at the election office, by personal agent, by mail or by fax.
To obtain an early voting ballot by mail, write to your County Clerk or Election Commissioner, including:
- Your name and residence address
- Your political party affiliation
- Your voting precinct, if known
- Your phone number
- The mailing address you want the ballots sent to
- Your signature
You can also fill out on the application form and mail it to your County Clerk or Election Commissioner:
All county election offices will accept Early Voting applications up to 120 days prior to a statewide Primary or General election. However, regular Early Voting ballots are not sent out or voted until 35 days before the Election.
The last day to request an Early Voting ballot to be mailed is the Wednesday prior to Election Day at 4 p.m.
The Monday before Election Day is the last day to cast an early voting ballot at the County Election Office.
All Early Voting ballots whether personally delivered, delivered by agent or delivered by mail or other carriers must arrive by the closing of the polls on Election Day. (8:00 p.m. Central and 7:00 p.m. Mountain time)
For more election and voter information, you can contact the Nebraska Secretary of State’s website.