The purpose of an NAEYC position statement is to state the Association’s position on an issue of controversy related to early childhood education practice, policy, and/or professional development.
In developing and disseminating position statements, NAEYC aims to
- take informed positions on significant, controversial issues affecting young children’s education and development;
- promote broad-based dialogue on these issues, within and beyond the early childhood field;
- create a shared language and evidence-based frame of reference so that practitioners, decision makers, and families may talk together about key issues in early childhood education;
- influence public policies;
- stimulate investments needed to create accessible, affordable, high-quality learning environments and professional development; and
- build more satisfying experiences and better educational and developmental outcomes for all young children.